Header photo by Hamish Grant. Used with permission.

Friday, February 11, 2011

What the intern really thinks about your company

In the Australian spring (Canadian autumn), I ventured down under to take a public relations internship with Burson-Marsteller Australia.

My experience proved to be extremely worthwhile, enjoyable and full of learning opportunities.

After my internship ended, I was asked by the Asia-Pacific CEO, Bob Pickard to guest post my reflections on the entire experience. He instructed me to be honest. He invited me to challenge his readers - many of whom are the people who make decisions about interns and internships.

What I came up with was a reflection piece entitled: "What the intern REALLY thinks about your company," where I laid out and explained five main observations about interns and internships:

1. Your intern has something to contribute, value to add, ideas to table.

2. Your intern doesn't expect a lot.

3. Your intern is investing in you and your company.

4. Your intern believes his or her time is worth something.

5. Your intern will talk about his or her intern experience with his or her intern friends.

Please give it a read and let me know what you think. Is there anything that you would add? Does what I've said reflect your intern experience?

Your can read the blog post at:

http://bobpickard.com/what-the-intern-really-thinks-about-your-company/


1 comment:

  1. intern = new blood, fresh set of eyes = wake up call

    ReplyDelete