Header photo by Hamish Grant. Used with permission.

Monday, November 8, 2010

How to get promoted - with a social media twist

I am an intern.

I like to help people with things.

I enjoy brainstorming sessions.

I'm humbled when I'm asked for advice.

As someone who has been in the workforce for a little while, then went back to school, and am now back at the bottom of the business hierarchy (again), I've been thinking a lot about adding value to my workplace, doing more and how to make myself indispensable.

It all boils down to two things, I think.

Attitude.

Initiative.

In keeping with the spirit of Pizza Friday (community, connectedness, creativity and collaboration), and in line with these two ideas, I wrote a guest blog post that was picked up by an Australian media and marketing blog.

The subject: How to get promoted ... with a social media twist.

Mind you, I have only ever been promoted once. That promotion, I actually turned down to go back to school.  I'm not an expert, which is why I leaned very heavily on the words and advice of the co-founder of my employ - William Marsteller.

Call it a collaboration - over 40 years with a PR giant.

It has resonated strongly with the Burson-Marsteller community.

It took a little creativity to bring it around to social media.

But it in the end, it's all about connectedness.

Give the article a read, and let me know what you think!

http://mumbrella.com.au/how-to-get-promoted-in-pr-with-the-help-of-social-media-35739

All the best,

Zack.

3 comments:

  1. I am an intern at Mumbrella & just read over your piece! It is great - and so is your blog. I am really happy for you that Mumbrella picked it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jayne. I'm glad that you enjoyed the article - hopefully there are some things you'll be able to take away from it! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jayne. I was actually wondering if I could borrow your mUmBRELLA expetise? Can you please send me an email to zack.sandor(AT)gmail.com ?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete