Header photo by Hamish Grant. Used with permission.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Giving Up Number One on Google

I'm facing a conundrum.  I've been told by some social media people that blogging on the platform "Blogger" is beginner's stuff. Kindergarten.  The sandbox.  They say that serious bloggers who are taken seriously, blog on other platforms like Wordpress.  There are a number of differences between the two, each with its advantages an disadvantages.

The conundrum is that this blog is the number one result when you Google "Pizza Friday."



Now I want to move by blog over to Wordpress (I have a shiny new domain name and everything), but I don't want to sacrifice my Google search ranking. I'm pleased (and a little surprised) about this.

I'm unsure what to do.  Do I transfer all the content I've produced on the Blogger version of Pizza Friday to the Wordpress, and just direct traffic to the new blog?  Do I start fresh with a new layout and theme on the new platform?  Do I just keep the Pizza Friday theme and look, but have the Wordpress version of the blog as a continuation of the first iteration? 

I don't know. 

What would Google prefer?  I know it doesn't like replica content ...

Perhaps I'm making this a bigger deal out of this than I need to.  If I made it to number one in the search after four months of blogging on Blogger, presumably I can get there again on Wordpress.  Unless the idea of Pizza Friday is popularized by Justin Bieber, it stands to reason that the only person I'll be competing with for Pizza Friday search dominion is ... myself. 

Perhaps I'm being to proud.  Should I just not worry about it, and humbly move my blog over because it's what I want to do, and not worry about search engine optimization

I'm not sure.  Can anyone offer any insights or suggestions? 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hate how you cant edit comments - must delete.
    Blogger blows

    but keep Pizza Friday alive forever - never delete it. just dont post but keep it alive like I have Dumpdiggers.

    ReplyDelete